A Valentine Tragedy – The Green Death.

Posted: February 14, 2012 by ralliart12 in Roadblocks, ~ § Aquascape § ~
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

On the 14th of February 2012, a colony of highly-assorted algae infiltrated & successfully overwhelmed a field of Hemianthus callitrichoides in a 2-feet village. The massacre was over within a matter of hours. There were no survivors. Looks like no Valentine’s Day for the occupants of this village.

– An external witness

It's a lot worse than it seems

It's a lot worse than it seems

So here’s 10 weeks of consistent daily effort gone down the gutter. An algae attack reduce my progress to zilch. As a matter of fact, my progress has been reset to below zero, i.e. “negative”:

  1. The algae assault team has gone underground, literally. & since I have no water in the tank, using an algae scrapper on a dry & soiled (again, literally) surface runs into the danger of scratching the tank’s glass.
  2. Since at this moment in time, I do intend to re-use the substrate system, it means I can not use harsh chemical solvents (Hydrogen Peroxide, anyone?) to treat the algae; for fear of persistent negative effects harboured in the substrate long into the future.
I'm not even entirely positive as to the species of this algae.

I'm not even entirely positive as to the species of this algae.

So, I did what I can, at least, what measly efforts my broken spirit allows me to pursue today:

  1. I removed all traces of the HC, i.e. algae-fied, rotten, half-dead. Armed with a pair of tweezers & some elbow grease, after surface extraction, I use the pointed tips of the tweezers to rake through the soil to ensure all plant material (inclusive of roots) are removed. I do not want any further rotten material inside this substrate.
  2. I re-laid a layer of powder-type Aqua Soil as a form of repair to the topsoil of my substrate.
  3. I completely covered the tank from any visible light to implement a total blackout. The tank “cover” was only removed at night to accelerate the dehydration within the substrate. Faced with depleting moisture & no source of light energy, the existing algae colony should be having a hard time.
Utter & complete wipe-out

Utter & complete wipe-out

& then it starts travelling underground. To destroy any possible foundation

& then it starts travelling underground. To destroy any possible foundation

New topsoil administered to the immediate affected area

New topsoil administered to the immediate affected area

Using powder-type Aqua Soil as the new topsoil

Using powder-type Aqua Soil as the new topsoil

More powder-type

More powder-type

& then I try as I might, to repair everything

& then I try as I might, to repair everything

I’m done for the night, I suppose. In fact, I’m surprised that I even have the strength to recover (& rebuild) from the calamity that has befallen my crop. But I guess when you are used to utter bad luck, you tend to bounce back faster.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. […] time) with the full set of plants, rocks, wood & water, but nothing can prepare me for the storm beyond the horizon… Share this:FacebookTwitterEmailPrintStumbleUponDiggRedditLike this:LikeBe the first to like […]

  2. […] My invested e… on Actual Deployment #2 – 2…Scheduled update – 6… on A Valentine Tragedy – Th…Scheduled update – 6… on These aren’t the diodes …Scheduled update – […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s